Skip to main content


Two High Schools Recognized as a Top Performing Schools in America
Posted 5/17/19

Best High Schools Logo

Newport-Mesa Unified School District’s Corona del Mar High School and Early College High School were ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a top performing high school in America.


The annual list published by U.S. News and World Report, looks at more than 20,000 public high schools throughout the United States to select the best schools. Top performing schools are based student performance on state proficiency tests, graduation rates, and the degree to which schools prepare students for college-level work.


“Our school community is dedicated to preparing students for success” said Kathy Scott, Corona del Mar High School principal. “We are extremely proud that our school has been recognized on multiple occasions,” she said.


Corona del Mar High School serves approximately 1,600 students and offers a wide range of academic and extra-curricular programs, such as the Academy of Global Studies, the Performing Arts and Multimedia Academy, Challenge Success, and competitive athletics programs. Learn more by visiting the Corona del Mar High School website.


Early College High School (ECHS) is a collaborative effort between with Coastline Community College. Students are offered the opportunity to earn a high school diploma while meeting college entrance requirements. ECHS is an Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) affiliated school, California Distinguished School, California Gold Ribbon School, California Department of Education Honor Roll School, and WASC Accredited.


"This ranking is not  easy for our school to attain since we do not offer AP/IB exams, which accounts for 40 percent of the criteria," said Dr. Dave Martinez, ECHS principal. "So, that means we are doing an excellent job in the other 60 percent of their criteria, by offering college courses instead," he said.  


To learn more about the high school rankings visit the U.S. News and World Report website.