Community Service Guide
Community Service: The giving of one’s time, effort, and skills outside of class time to benefit our community, large or small, without monetary compensation.
40 Hours of Community Service are required for graduation
15 hours of Community Service are required for the Senior Project
It is a good idea for all students to begin thinking about their interests and look to serve the Community in areas that might be rewarding personally and build connections in the community to inspire focus for the Senior Project.
If you are looking for a service opportunity that suits your personality and interests go to volunteermatch.org
What qualifies as community service?
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of non-profit organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
- The community service requirement will be prorated for students transferring into an N-MUSD high school (5 hours per semester of attendance).
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the main office and Counseling Office as well as on our website. Forms must be submitted within one month of the date of service and are to be turned into the Counseling Office. Hours earned over summer should be turned in at the beginning of the school year in September. The deadline for submitting community service hours is June 1st of each school year.
What should I do for community service?
It is a good idea for all students to begin thinking about their interests and look to serve the Community in areas that might be rewarding personally and build connections in the community to inspire focus for the Senior Project. Check out the Community Service Guide.